Will I need any other permits?
These are instances where you must get other approvals before applying for a building permit. These include:

1) Conditional Use Permit (CUP) for businesses that are limited due to zoning regulations. Please contact the Planning Department at 562-383-4100 to determine if your business will require a Conditional Use Permit.

2) Orange County Health Care Agency for businesses preparing or serving food or drinks. You can contact the OC Health Care Agency at 714-433-6000 or visit their website at http://ochealthinfo.com.

3) Alcoholic Beverage Control License (ABC) for any business that sells alcoholic beverages. You can contact the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control at 714-558-4101 or visit their website at http://www.abc.ca.gov.

4) South Coast Air Quality Management District (AQMD) for the demolition of structures larger than one hundred square feet requires that you file a Notice of Demolition and an asbestos survey with AQMD. Rules are adopted to reduce emissions from various sources, including specific types of equipment, industrial processes, paints and solvents, even consumer products. Permits are issued to many businesses and industries to ensure compliance with air quality rules. Please contact AQMD at 909-396-2000 or visit their website at http://www.aqmd.gov.

5) Preliminary Water Quality Management Plan (WQMP) must be submitted for review and approval prior to the issuance of a building permit if your project requires a discretionary review. To understand the type of WQMP to prepare for your project, please contact Melissa You with the Engineering Division at 562-383-4151.

CalGOLD is a very helpful State website to find out what kinds of permits your business requires and who to contact. Their website is http://www.calgold.ca.gov.

Show All Answers

1. What requires a permit?
2. What should I do before obtaining a building permit?
3. What are the costs associated with the issuance of a permit and inspections?
4. How do I apply for a building permit?
5. Will I need Fire Department approval?
6. Will I need any other permits?
7. Must I make accessibility upgrades to an existing building?
8. How do I know if my driveway, sidewalks, or utilities are adequate or need improving?
9. Will a grease interceptor be required for my restaurant?
10. If I hire a contractor, how do I make sure they are licensed?
11. Are inspections required?