Start-up Facts for Businesses

Conditional Use Permit

Each of the different land use zones allow for certain types of businesses by right, through a Conditional Use Permit, or not permitted at all. Inquire as to whether your proposed business at the location you wish to establish the business is permitted and if any special applications are required. This information can be obtained from the Planning Division by contacting David Lopez or Michael O'Toole at 562-383-4100.

Seller's Permit

Your business activity may require a Seller's Permit (Retail Sales Tax Number) from the State Board for Equalization. You may wish to contact them by telephone first to determine if your business requires such a permit. You may reach them at 800-400-7115 or visit their website.

Small Business Tax Workshops

Contact the Internal Revenue Service for a Federal Employer Identification Number. The IRS provides Small Business Tax Workshops for new businesses. Additional information and forms are available on their website. The IRS can be reached at 800- 829-1040.

State Employer Identification Number

Contact the State Employment Development Department – To obtain a State Employer Identification Number if you have employees and withhold State Income Tax, Disability and Unemployment Insurance. You may visit their website.

Alcoholic Beverages

Contact the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board at 714-558-4101 or if you plan to sell or serve alcoholic beverages. You will also need to contact the Planning Division to obtain zoning approval for the sale of liquor. The Planning Division can be reached at 562- 383-4100.


Contact the Franchise Tax Board if you intend to have employees or to obtain a Form 540 for estimating State Withholding Tax for yourself. You can reach them at 800-852-5711 or visit their website.

Health Permits

If your establishment intends to prepare and/or sell food of any type, you must complete a Health Permit Application at the Orange County Health Care Agency. You may contact the Orange County Health Care Agency at 714-433-6000 or visit their website.

Firearms & Ammunition

If you intend to engage in the sale of firearms or ammunition, contact the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms at 714-347-9100 or visit their website. All necessary and appropriate permits, certificates and licenses must be copied and attached to your Business License Application.

For any additional information on locating your business in La Habra, please visit the La Habra Chamber of Commerce.